Maker: York House
This pair of leather Barrack Straps are marked York House, 15 Regent St. London to their hanging eyelets. These straps were useful in a tent or barrack either in pairs, to hang swords and whips etc. across them, or singularly. The hooks are a little unusual in that they are made of pressed gilt brass as opposed to the more usual cast brass. York House, named after the building the company occupied on Regent Street, was founded in June 1879 by Major Clench as a cooperative society. They commenced trading in the following November. York House is often referred to as The Junior Army & Navy Stores although it's unclear if they had any connection with the A&N CSL of Victoria Street, which was founded 8 years earlier. Certainly, the ethos, the variety of wares and the method of operating with agents across the world was very similar to the A&N CSL. We have seen campaign chests and portable shelves with labels for York House in the past and are also known to have supplied officer's messes and regimental canteens. Late 19th Century.