The brass bound calamander box that houses this set of cut throat razors is typical of the period.
The timber is exotic with a good movement to the grain and a rich colour. The inset brass straps to the corners are as much for decoration as protection and the box has an inset blank brass plaque for a name to the top. The interior is lined in dark blue velvet and fitted with dividers to separate the 7 razors. The razors have ivory handles and are each named to the top of the blade for a day of the week. The cutler's name is very worn on most of the blades but there is enough evidence to deduct that the maker is J & W Wood of Manchester. The address shown is 74 King Street. The business moved to this address between 1840 and 1845. J & W Wood were primarily known for their surgical instruments but toiletry boxes and cased pistols are also known bearing their name. Mid 19th Century.