A brass bound, mahogany Cavalry Chest by the Army and Navy Club Store Ltd.
This chest was also available with a superstructure but this version was described by the A&N CSL as 'With table escritoire, but without shelves and fittings at top'. They sold it in teak, oak and mahogany (like this one) which was the most expensive for its size at £ 13 1s 6d. The secretaire drawer doesn't have a fall front, like most campaign chests, but the whole drawer pulls forward, as can be seen. The middle section has a leather and rosewood slope with a paper tidy behind that supports the slope at an angle. Underneath the hinged slope is a compartment with lid. Either side of the middle section there is a compartment with a sliding lid covering it. The right hand side is fitted with a removable pen tray and dividers for inkwells etc. Below, there is a secret drawer that has its release button to the compartment in the middle section. A sprung facia board is removable to access a small red velvet lined drawer. The drawer linings are mahogany, as opposed to oak or ash and the maker's label is to the top right hand drawer.
The name of this chest comes from the maker's wish to associate it with the smarter regiments and it is still a popular form of campaign chest. The cabinet maker has dated his work 22/3/1901 and signed his name, which looks to be Harlett to the secondary wood. Circa 1901.
The Army & Navy Store Co-Operative Society Limited, to give their full title, was set by in 1871 by a group of army and naval officers who had decided they were paying too much for their wine. If they clubbed together to buy wholesale, they could greatly reduce the price. If this could be done for wine, it could be done for most other things and indeed the A&N CSL went on to sell just about everything imaginable from food and drink to clothing, furniture, sporting goods, luggage and toys.
Membership was restricted to officers, non-commissioned officers and their families. Friends could join by introduction and officials from the civil service and clubs etc. could also join. Premises were opened at 105 Victoria Street and the Society quickly grew to be a very large concern with depots at important army bases and ports. With a large demand from members in India, a store was opened in Bombay in 1891, followed by Karachi in 1892 and Calcutta in 1901.
The Society also manufactured or commissioned a number of the items they sold. This is particularly true of the items we are interested in, travel furniture and luggage etc. We also have a theory that the A&N CSL workshops may have supplied other retailers such as Harrods. Although many of the London campaign furniture makers were producing similar items of furniture, a number of pieces sold by Harrods bear a striking similarity to those marked A&N CSL. However, the Army & Navy Store tended to label their items whereas this was less of a concern for Harrods. Four digit reference numbers are often to be found stamped on pieces sold by both companies.
The A&N CSL used a variety of different labels and stamps throughout their history but more often than not the wording 'Army & Navy C.S.L. Makers' was used. Some labels also show addresses. Brass and ivorine labels are known as well as applied leather labels on luggage and both impressed and ink stamps.
The speed and size of the Society's growth was remarkable but still they managed to keep an eye on quality and customer service. Their name changed in 1934 from the Army & Navy Co-Operative Society Ltd to The Army & Navy Stores Ltd. They were eventually taken over by The House of Frazer in 1981.