A round Leather Case Flask by Drew & Sons.
The glass flask has a cork lined, silver plated screw on cap with a serrated edge to give a firmer grip. The flask is a snug fit to the case, which is fitted with a belt strap over the case top to secure it. With the top removed, the Drew & Sons stamp can be seen to the front of the case. This is a fairly typical position for Drew to mark their cases. The flask takes a little under a pint. A good sized flask by a good maker. Circa 1900.
Case Size is Given
Drew & Sons noted on their letterhead that they were established in 1844.
Like many 19th century campaign furniture makers, they started out as luggage and travel good makers adding portable furniture to their range of goods as the demand became apparent. They were foremost known for their high end leather goods and picnic sets, however the whole of their second floor at Piccadilly Circus was given over to Military Furniture and Campaigning Equipments. They also made a point of stating on their paperwork that they made all their own goods and to the highest quality. The Drew items we have seen testify to this and indeed they enjoyed the patronage of Queen Victoria, the Royal Family and most of the Courts of Europe.
Their main address was 33, 35-37 Piccadilly Circus but they also had premises at 155 Leadenhall Street, London and 42 Kings Road, Brighton. Their manufactories were located at Burlington Buildings, Heddon Street and at Hatton Gardens, London.